Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Available on ebay Title: Invitation at Sunset

oil on linen 8x10 in
Sold
Another one from sailing with friends this summer. I was on the 'big boat'. My daughter and her friend were on the 'small boat' called an "Invitation". They kept pulling ahead of us, sometimes far ahead, until our skipper fired up the engine.

This painting I hesitate to call a study, but I guess it is. I painted a larger gallery piece after this small 8x10. Couple things I was working on here: the darks are all different and I was trying different paints and mixtures for each. Also I wanted to see if I could get the brilliant reflection while playing with a palette knife. Naively I thought it would be an easy painting to knock out; it wasn't. To date I've painted four different versions, including two finished gallery pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Elmira, New York, United States
In many ways I think like a photographer. The image itself is becoming more and more important to me; the actual application of paint less and less. Blasphemy in some painterly circles. I choose to paint figures and portraits because I consider them the most difficult subject.

Followers