Monday, July 6, 2009

A Keeper I Think


Just after I was arrogantly bragging about how I wiped out all of my sketching efforts, I started and finished this one of a new model standing on a diving board. This isn't the young woman who dove in high school, but she certainly has the figure of a sportswoman. Decided to keep it. Done in Transparent Oxide Red and Titanium White (both Gamblin). I'm finding it hard to control the three of Titanium Oxide Red, Titanium White and Ultramarine Blue. Theoretically the idea is to treat them as a trois crayons exercise. The Transparent Red is used in the warm areas and the blue in cool areas - together they make a nice dark. Will just have to keep plugging away.

Took photos of paintings today and was disappointed with the results. I know how it's supposed to be done (two daylight bulbs at 45 degree angles to picture plane) I just don't have the means. Attempted to compensate. Looking at the photos they don't look like the paintings and I wonder if it's an emotional thing. When I work on a painting for a while I get very close to it. Even though I actively try to keep an emotional distance, I think my vision gets distorted. My worry is that when I look at the photo the shock of recognition is me seeing the painting as it really is - and I'm disappointed. Sort of like when I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror not realizing it's me. Very scary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Elmira, New York, United States
In many ways I think like a photographer. The image itself is becoming more and more important to me; the actual application of paint less and less. Blasphemy in some painterly circles. I choose to paint figures and portraits because I consider them the most difficult subject.

Followers